Friday, July 2, 2010

Coconut & Mango Cupcakes

These two cupcakes were packaged for my friend to try
Left side: Chocolate Cupcake w/Strawberry frosting
Right side: Coconut & Mango Cupcake w/mango frosting



So I had some Mangos in my fridge and what do you do with them when you can't finish them??? Make them into cake...in this case, cupcakes!!! But unfortunately, the Mango taste did not come out after baking it...=(. Instead, it tasted more like coconut cupcake then anything. On top of that, the texture of the cake was different from your usual cake. It was very dense and spongy like. Maybe it was the cake batter that I made. It was just simple white cake batter, but I personally did not like it. As for the Mango, don't know what happened to it.....it became kinda like "lost in translation" during the baking. I used 3 big mangos and pureed it and it was so sweet already thinking "cool, the mango flavor will come out". Boy, was I wrong. Luckily, I added the shredded toasted coconut in the mix because if not, it would just be a plain cake!!

The toasting of the coconut pieces were awesome!!!! It was so easy to do and it made my whole house smell so tropical. Will definitely use these toasted coconuts again for another recipe!

The frosting this time was somewhat different too. It was more of an icing than a frosting. Again, mango pureed was used but no mango flavors were evident. I read somewhere that if you want to have that mango flavor, I should use artificial flavorings...a.k.a....pure mango extract! So, with that said, these cupcakes were definitely not my cup of tea. Would I make it again???.......hmmmm....maybe but with some major alterations tho so I can have that mango taste and smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment