Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let there be cake.........


As Buzz would say "To Infinity and Beyond"

Like the title goes....."let there be cake"....is exactly what I did. After baking and testing out so many cupcakes, I figure why not venture into cake designing and decorating.  So the first cake I did was my son's birthday cake. As one can see, it was "Toy Story 3" theme and Buzz was my son's favorite character!  I initially didn't know what to think of making this cake since I never custom make any cakes before beside buying the box cake mix and just bake it and frost it as it.  Then on Saturday night while surfing the net, I googled "Toy Story 3" cake design and lo and behold.....I saw this lady making a "moon-like" cake and having the Toy Story characters on it. So I thought about it and figure that would be a great idea but didn't know where to start. 

That's when my journey lead me to marshmallow fondant (MMF).  This is just like your regular fondant but a little sweeter.  I think it kinda taste better than store bought fondant since it's freshly made..=).  So, with MMF in my hand, I started to think about the design of the cake.  That's when I figure Buzz should be the talk of the town since my son just loves him so much.  Then the design came to my head while incorporating the website ladie's idea too....a moon-like cake on top of a rounded cake, making it look out it's out of space.  As you can see, the idea and the cake came out pretty good and YES, I am pretty proud of myself...(a pat on my back).  The bottom cake was chocolate with raspberry buttercream and the top cake was just chocolate.  My son and daugther both liked it a lot and now my daughter has requested that for her b-day she would like a monkey cake!! 

So, my new adventure into custom cake design and decorating has begun!  It was a very fun and interesting learning curve for me when it came to making this cake.  But at the end, it was well worth it since it put a smile on my kids face and seeing their expressions was priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment